Today's veterans can face any number of obstacles while furthering their education. Taking advantage of all the benefits you've earned and DESERVE shouldn't be one of them! This is why we have teamed up with Student Veterans of America and Sport Clips Haircuts to provide the assistance you need.
The VFW's "Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship" provides service members and veterans with the financial assistance they need to complete their educational goals without incurring excessive student loan debt. It’s just another way for us to say "thank you” to those who fought for our freedoms.
- Scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded to qualified applicants.
- Awarded scholarships are limited to one per family per semester.
- Applications for the fall semester will be accepted January 1 through April 30.
- Applications for the spring semester will be accepted August 1 through November 15.
- Fall semester scholarships will be awarded in August, and spring semester scholarships will be awarded in January.
- Scholarships must be used by the end of the school semester for which the veteran is applying or they will become null and void.
- Scholarships are restricted for tuition and fees only and will be paid directly to accredited schools.
Eligible Applicants Must:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be retired, honorably discharged, active duty, or a member of the National Guard or Reserve.
- Have completed Basic Training and follow-on training (Advanced Individual Training, technical school, etc.).
- Separated with or currently hold a military rank of E-5 or below.
- Demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Participate in, be accepted to or currently enrolled in a VA-approved program or school at an accredited post-secondary institution.
If you have questions please view our FAQ or email us with additional questions.
No one knows education benefits better than the VFW. After all, we played a major role in the passage of the 1944 GI Bill of Rights, the Montgomery GI Bill Act of 1984 and the recent Post-9/11 GI Bill. To help ensure student veterans receive their benefits in a timely manner and have a place to turn to if they need help, the VFW, in conjunction with the Student Veterans of America (SVA), have developed the 1 Student Veteran program.
1 Student Veteran offers direct assistance to student veterans who have questions or are experiencing problems accessing their VA benefits. Our direct access to VA Regional Offices across the country means we can work quickly to provide our student veterans with timely and accurate answers regarding the complex claims process. Furthermore, our direct access to education claims adjudicators means that those whose education benefits have been wrongfully denied delayed during a transfer from one school to another or paid in error, will not have to wait the months it would traditionally take to file a formal appeal.
Veterans who send a message to 1 Student Veteran will receive a timely reply from a VFW staff member who specializes in student veteran issues.
If you have already confirmed your benefit eligibility through the VA's GI Bill Hotline, 888-GI BILL 1 (888-442-4551), and double-checked your enrollment verification with your school, take the next step and contact 1 Student Veterantoday.
VFW-SVA Legislative Fellowship
We have been advocating on behalf of veterans, service members and their families for more than a century, and we want to share our experience with a new generation of veteran leaders. The VFW-SVA Legislative Fellowship grants 10 exemplary student veterans (fellows) the chance to join the VFW legislative team on Capitol Hill during the VFW Legislative Conference in early spring each year. The fellows will walk the halls of Congress, educating their legislators on the issues facing today’s student veterans and have the opportunity to meet with policy-makers from federal agencies responsible for implementing veterans' policy.